Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Need for Need !!

I somehow come back to this space whenever I feel the need to. Thats rare in itself. We don't really need anything nowadays do we? Or is it just me? 38 knocking on my window pane and i have stopped needing..fairly early to give in to life I say.

But then, I don't even see kids engaging with that emotion, the raw longingness of need.
U want, u get...rather anti climactic, i would say.

At least I had a childhood where need was not artificially created by my parents...today, I make a conscious effort not to give everything my son's heart desires so that he can feel the want becoming a need, slow and steady...

I felt like coming back to this place today because for the last few days I can see that need building up in him. His eyes shine, theres a fervour in the way he speaks....
theres a course that Wharton or Stanford has started on Harry Potter & the Future of Illusion....he asked me how to get there.
I smiled..you know one of those secret motherly quirky twist of the lips which just indicates 'caught u'.....

so now, I have a 'needy' kid, willing to give studies his best shot while he searches the net for Potter's wand....he has a globe on one side and google on the other...the two biggest warriors of this century I would say.

And, I have my need..at near 38...to give him the magic he deserves.....

5 comments:

Shaswati said...

Wish u both the very best for this! :)

Pankaj Raj said...

This is the first time I read your blog. I must say that you write really well and straight from the heart

Abhigyan said...

That sounds like a neat course..Exec programme bhi hai kya??

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Really liked your post. Over here I see so many parents who bend over their back to provide "the best" to their kids... never realizing that a little deprivation might be one of the best gifts a parent can give their child.

thanks so much for affirming the belief that many know, but few practice.

Anu

svety said...

@shaz & Pankaj...thnk u ...I just write what I feel..
@abhi ..sent u the list :)
@ Anu..thnk u...its a little difficult to say no to ur kids when it is in ur power to say yes to them..i guess thats the reason for the non practice..do keep visiting..i plan to write regularly now...