Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Chandni Chowk

History has little use for me. I find it difficult to remember things beyond the now and here. I could write reams on the why of it but I doubt it would be of interest to anyone.
I do understand that I miss out on the whole romance of imagining a bygone era and its trappings but that's the way it is.
So when a few close friends offered to show me around Chandni Chowk, it was not the history of the place that catapulted me into action but the fact that I would get to shop and eat to my heart’s content.
I found history all the same, or it, finally found me…..

Colours streak the
Grey suffused skies
I raise my head to the
Jumble of electricity in the air
Having experienced the romance
Of generations gone by
They seem to be whispering into each others ears
Yes, this too shall pass..

“बल्ली मरण से दरीबे तलक..तेरी मेरी कहानी दिल्ली में”
I have heard that before
All that stays with me now, is not the refrain
But the smell that tiptoes around it
I reach out to touch it
all that stays
Is the wisp of feel
The senses blur, collide
all that stays
Is the colour in the sky….

Time suspended in unhindered conversations
And, conversation hanging loose of any intention


They seem to be whispering into each others ears
Yes, this too shall pass..



4 comments:

Smiling Dolphin said...

happy new year to you and to chandnichowk both!

Abhigyan said...

The way to enjoy it is as a pedestrian..and you need to go early in the morning on a Sunday for the book bazaar..top it up with lunch at karim's

svety said...

so when are we going abhi???

And, a really happy new yr to u too Lynn..

Sanchita Wahi said...

Love the way this is written. It struck a very personal cord with me. :)