Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Happy Independence Day from the UK

Its been a most enlightening Independence Day for me today...

For the last few days have been living in a quaint place called Luton, 40 mins from London. Am here on holiday and have been communing with myself at leisure.

Its been a ritual since the past 15 odd years to call up my grandpa on Independence Day and wish him.
He fought hard for India's freedom and if my one call can make me think that I gave him moments of reliving the glory of a gone era, then it doesn't matter, that he now, has Alzheimer's and is unable to sign his name, forget, undersign his nation...

I remember when I used to stay with my grandparents we used to hoist the flag, eat jalebis and sing the national anthem...a ritual we never got tired of when were young because of the frentic planning that went into it, or when we became older because of the excitement on my grandpas face...

Independence day means a lot to me...not beacause its supposed to but because its a part of the way I was brought up. Today I sit with my son , in England, in front of an open TV and tried to inculcate the meaning of this day into him...it lasts for all of 5mins and leaves me feeling a failure....

And, then we see our first hindi movie in a hall in England in so many years....Chak De India....lovely lovely movie but thats fodder for my next post.....and, as we get up as the titles start rolling in, my son turns around and says, 'mommy, how come we didn't sing jan gan man at the end for the Indian Hockey Team...'

After so many years of hoisting the flag, eating jalebis, believing in the day, I can only resonate, 'ya baby, how come?'...

5 comments:

gautam said...

after reading your last post i agreed with you that you had lost it....finally! after reading this one, i'd say 'not a chance'!
simple stuff, well told!!

svety said...

hi gautam...thnx...that was fast...i just posted

Citizen Shaker said...

Its quite neat..what 15-aug means to all of us. and to most who we can safely call the next generation..

shaswati said...

Nice post

Smiling Dolphin said...

perhaps you are celebrating a personal freedom of your own, it sounds that way. if that is the case, full power to you.