Saturday, June 16, 2007

Euphoric

Yesterday was one of the best days of my life. I did something I had not in my wildest imagination thought I would ever do. I played football. I represented a team in a tournament. I played.

When I joined adidas I was sure I was going to make it work. I just didn't know how. Here was a sports company that was world revered and I was getting a chance to be a part of the bigger picture. The only problem was that the last time I had played was in high school.

Its not as if I never enjoyed playing games, outdoor games, just that I could never figure out why I stopped.

I used to captain the junior school netball team when we stayed in England. I have certificates that prove that I could swim like a fish and even dive from a springboard. And, last year, I entered the pool like a novice...forget diving, I couldn't even put my head under water.

However, enough regrets of the lost potential of the past, the future is young and I find it everyday.

It rained in the afternoon. I should have taken that as a sign. I love the rains. Its like an energy drink for me. I got drenched in the rain for a good one hour before the match, helping organize stuff on the ground. And, after that I played football for more than an hour yesterday.I didn't just stand there but helped my team bring its strategy alive on the field. I could hear everyone cheer and it felt so bloody good. Just to have so many friends and even people you don't know break into applause makes me believe and trust in myself again.

Don't get me wrong. I am by no means under confident or low in self esteem. Over the last decade and a half , I let myself go physically. I don't know why. I try to come up with complex justifications but I think the only one that is true is that it was never critical enough. The way I looked never mattered in the beginning coz I looked fine and when I didn't, I just had a hundred people telling me I didn't need it.

I still don't care much about my looks but,i do want to look pretty in someone's eyes
I want to go out with my family and not think I'm embarassing them
I want to play football
I want to try my hand at squash
I want to swim
I want to take up dancing

And, I'm ticking them off, one by one......

I sit here with a broad grin on my face....i just can't get over hitting the ball and saving a goal man...

8 comments:

Shome said...

live it up.. ; )
katra katra jee lo...

Abhigyan said...

In case you want to take you and your team out for Asia's best football, some great hospitality packages can be bought.

Simpu said...

Living and Kicking!

Milan said...

footer in the rains!!...know what..you are going to get addicted to it this monsoon..:))...me getting inspired now..

svety said...

i am so so already addicted milan....

as shome puts it I've decided that katra katra works

and no, abhi, theres some time to go before I reach that stage

KICKASS LIVING is what I call it vipul...

rayshma said...

wow! u sure are having fun! here's to loads of more memorable moments! :)

Y said...

Really liked this post, svety :-)

Smiling Dolphin said...

way to go!