Tuesday, November 28, 2006

First 10 Days with Adi Dassler

Its been 10 odd days now. At adidas...A new place...a different world. Thats, what i think everyday.

Its a different world. Not because it is different but because it is so far removed from what my reality used to be. The reality of working in a certain manner, thinking in a set way and of course not thinking in a set way too.

Learning every moment...

  • I have always been one to scoff at too much theory but have always been guilty of providing a theoretical framework for my meandering thoughts. Now, I've learnt that theory is dispensible till u need to regiment...

  • I encountered racism at a very fragile time in my life, when I was studying in England, when I was all of 9 yrs old...Though it made me escape the only country I had known since my birth, it completely left my consciousness unscarred. Today its heartening to see that working with our western counterparts comes so naturally to us. I have never interacted with so many people of so many different nationalities. They bring forth so many different ways of working, such diverse responses that each day takes me closer to a new way of looking at a traditional issue. Silence is acceptable and does not need the ammunition of expected noise. I can sit still without being pressured to respond....

  • Sports and me ...huh??? How could I have been so so myopic.... for a person who prides herself on being aware of the environment around her, how could I have been oblivous to the unifying spirit on one force - sports. Yes, it does make the world go around. Yes, it does celebrate the human spirit. Yes, it is exasperating. And Yes, it is the only language that binds you to your soul...

  • And if this is my belief after only 10 days, what do I say about the passion I see around me? Impossible is Nothing. There is no theory that regiments. But there are templates that are followed. Not just from one country to the other but from one person to another. The canteen guy knows exactly what the brand stands for and is more than capable (as I found out the hard way) of espousing it...

  • I had heard time heals. As each day passes I miss my old friends more. I understand, and this realisation, has come after great introspection...a lifetime of friendships have given way to days of professional camraderie. I don't think my friends here will ever see the old svety because like most things, I left her behind too....

I'm happy.......because......

7 comments:

Shaswati said...

after everything, it's wonderful that you are happy and that's all that counts really. we all search for it and never know at which turn we find it - so just enjoy

Lynn said...

what exactly did the canteen guy do??? serve you some impossible chai? by the way do you still have the 'impossible is nothing' miniposter i gave you guys on august 16, 2004? my tbwa friend had sent me the mms too but it's got erased, otherwise i could have sent it to you. now put on your adidas walking shoes and show us a svelte new svety in six weeks time!!!

rayshma said...

feels good to be happy, eh? but even that isn't immune to change...hope it lasts a long time for u... enjoy! :0)

svety said...

I went and asked the canteen guy for Pepsi. I could see bottles lying around. What I got in return was a whole lecture on how I could even think of asking for Pepsi in Adidas. And to be able to give me the drink he would have to take permission from the CEO and the works. After half an hr I see a glass of nimbu paani without sugar on my desk...And he keeps sending me the nimbu paani every 3 hrs...let me see if i can source that mms for u Lynn...

And, thnx rayshma....touchwood

Mausumi said...

Svety yet not quite Svety...evolution I guess...cheers

Mahogany said...

I don't get it. Why are Pepsi and Adidas incompatible?

Abhigyan said...

That's a great piece..In fact, if our readership would have been any differentiated, I would have easily put this on my blog..Hehe..
I also had planned to write abt the same thing - especially the multicultural experience, but HHIO, Diwali and then the movies kep interrupting. And you have just worked with whites (sorry for the stereotype), just get a whiff of Japanese and then you'll know what attention to detail, fickiness, and at times servility (hope I am wrong, with a vary narrow sample) is all about.