Wednesday, July 26, 2006

5 Going On 25

I am so happy to be back again. I have so much faith in the eternal oblivion and anonymity of the web that I was already consoling myself with the fact that I had lost this space.

Thank u Lynn for keeping my faith.

Last few days have been frantic. My son has not been well so long nights and even longer days. There is nothing more heart wrenching than seeing ur child suffer. Especially so when ur child wants to spare u the pain by going through his illness with the wisdom of the silent.

Its a different world out there. Here we steel ourselves everyday against corporate misgivings and barbs, infront of the innocence of a child, there is no hiding.

You are asked pointed questions, evaluated and then excused all in the lifetime of a second. My son asked me why I had to go to work. And before I answered he had already assumed it was for money. I tried explaining to him it was something I wanted for myself. "Like I want Maggi", he quipped. I knewI was falling into a trap the moment i said Yes. I cold see the gleam in his eyes as he promptly reminded me that Maggi was junk food and therefore, so was my job.

At 5 yrs hes influencing the way I think, god alone knows what will happen when hes 25....

3 comments:

Smiling Dolphin said...

This will sound very crass - but it's honest. At 5, he's putting you on a guilt trip. At 25, you'll be putting him on one. That's the way the world works.

Ah - a realtionship with a pet is so much simpler......

Abhigyan said...

Well Gandhi had said that abt 'Child being the father of Man'. I wonder why all our great thinkers were so sexist though. In today's era, the women's lib movement would be garlading Chankaya with shoes everyday. And the king was definitely my namesake, Manu, and his Smriti.
Only an innocent mind can raise such fundamental questions though. Someone was telling me today abt a consultant with E&Y, who is 30 and looks like 45, and E&Y will be a dream organisation for most, including me. In my tough college days when I had not 'caught any line', I often thought I should apply for the station-master's post, and go and wave flags at a staion like Dankaur (on the Delhi-Aligarh highway). Life would have been like Raj Babbar in 'Bunty aur Babli', but maybe then some ass-Bunty wld have showed me my loser status.
I guess I would have utilised my life savings to invest in a notebook and a Broadband connection then.

Shaswati said...

Good to see you back Svety!I was most upset with my machine for not being able to get on to your blog. Lo & behold, as soon as I get my techie guy to have a look, the laptop almost goes on a "guilt trip" and starts behaving itself.Oops! I thought we were talkinga bout "guilt trips"...